Know these 5 Common Electrical Hazards and How to Fix Them

760 Views

Knowing about the potential electrical hazards is indeed one of the best ways to prevent electrical accidents. With advancements in technology, homes are getting safer every year, however you’d still need to know about certain electric threats to ensure complete safety. Here are some of the common electrical hazards listed by a professional Toowoomba electrician for you:

Poor or out-dated Wiring:

One of the top causes of residential fires is faulty wiring. A certified Toowoomba electrician will be able to analyse and update your residential wiring so as to minimise the risk. If the residential wiring is over 30 years or older, getting an annual inspection is recommended. If you notice that the lights in your home is flickering, the outlets are warm, or the breakers are constantly tripping, it could be that the wiring has to be repaired or updated.

Using Light Bulbs of Wrong Wattage:

When using a light bulb with a wattage rating that exceeds the safety limit of the lamp, the lamp’s wiring might get overloaded and cause fire. To prevent this, it is recommended to use only those light bulbs with a wattage rating less than or equal to the maximum wattage supported by the lamp.

Using Extension Cords without Care:

Extension cords could be really helpful at times, but they could also be dangerous if not handled properly. Electrician in Toowoomba suggests purchasing UL rated extension cords for total safety. Never overload the cord by plugging in large appliances. Inspect the cords periodically and make sure they are in good condition. If you are frequently using extension cords, installing more electrical outlets would be a safer and better alternative.

Using an Unsafe Appliance:

Never use any malfunctioning electrical appliance. An appliance that doesn’t function as intended could increase the chances of electrical shock, fire, or other injuries.  If you notice that an appliance is malfunctioning, use the mains to cut off the power to the said appliance.

Plugging in Appliances Near Water Source:

When you find that a plugged-in electrical appliance is wet, do not unplug it right away. Head to the mains and cut off the power first before doing so.  Once you unplug the device, get the assistance of a certified electrician to inspect for safety. To minimise the risk of shock or electrocution, install Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter. This intelligent device would detect if somebody receives a shock, after which the power would be cut off by it instantaneously.

These are some of the common electrical hazards you need to be aware of. Get in touch with a proficient electrical contractor in Toowoomba for a full home inspection of electrical wiring and appliances. Their services will be helpful in enhancing the safety of your home.